SE6051SE FISHERGATE 1112-1/22/326 (East side) 14/06/54 No.29 The Old Convent
Formerly known as: Convent of the Sisters of Charity of St Vincent-de-Paul FISHERGATE. House, later convent, now flats. Late C18 with later alterations and additions of 1902. Brick in Flemish bond with dressings of painted stone and render. Blue tile DPC visible in front wall. Hipped roofs, partly slated and partly pantiled. EXTERIOR: symmetrical, 2 storeys and 5 bays, the 3 central bays breaking forwards slightly under a pediment. The facade has a storey band, dentilled pediment, and dentilled cornice gutter. The windows are glazing bar sashes with painted rendered surrounds. Within the pediment there is an oval blind window. The doorcase has attached fluted columns, a plain frieze, and a cornice enriched with shallow incised triglyphs and quatrefoils. The door has 2 glazed panels above 4 recessed panels, and has a fanlight. The low walls to each side of the external steps are terminated with ball finials. At the left there is a single-storey one-bay wing which has a glazing bar sash window, and a parapet coping with central urn. Set back behind is a 2-storey addition. Set back to the right there is a 2-storey addition of 1902, of 6 irregular bays, with a hipped roof and with a lean-to conservatory in the angle with the main building. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records open string staircase with cast-iron balusters and shallow veneered handrail. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 69).
Listing NGR: SE6074851142