Here is some guidance to help you to navigate the map and use the toolbars
Right hand tool
Right hand tool bar (top) - You can find the area you are interested in by using: the zoom tools, previous and next map extent arrows, and using your mouse to pan by holding down the left mouse button and dragging the map.
Right hand information bar (bottom) - The position of the map (by Easting and Northing) and the zoom level.
Left hand tool bar (icons listed from top to bottom)
Search - search by location (eg Haxby not a street name), postcode (include gap in postcode) or by grid reference
Map Layers - the 'Layers' tab allows you to choose which types of information you wish to display. Each layer will always show on the map in the order listed in the tab. It will be easier to view certain information if you turn off overlapping layers.
- Monuments - Describes and indexes an interpretation of the archaeological or architectural features represented on a site.
- Events - Defines a diverse range of activities as events, all involving the collection of information or judgements about the monuments at a particular location e.g. geophysical survey, excavation etc.
- Scheduled Monuments - Are historic buildings or sites that are included in the Schedule of Monuments kept by the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport. The regime is set out in the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.
- Listed Buildings – Are buildings of special architectural and historic interest and are protected by law.
- Registered Parks and Gardens – Are parks and gardens of special historic interest.
For the definitive information on listed, scheduled or registered monuments please use the National Heritage List for England.
Base Layers - there are three base layers to choose from a modern Ordnance Survey map, a detailed 1852 map of the city centre area and a modern Aerial Photograph.
Info - use the pointer to display a shortcut to the selected detailed record.
Record List - these displays shortcuts to the detailed record of all features visible on the screen (Tip: Open the records in a new Tab or Window, to retain the Record List).
Tools - ability to print, download or share map.