SE6052SW DEAN'S PARK 1112-1/13/287 Arcade of former Archbishops' Palace 14/06/54 and attached railings and gates (Formerly Listed as: DEAN'S PARK Archbishop Roger's Arcade)
Arcade of the Palace of Archbishop Roger de Pont l'Eveque; now War Memorial to the Second Division. Attached walls, railings, gates and gate piers extending approx 35m to the south-west, 20m to the north-east and forming the boundary on the north-west side of Dean's Park. Arcade late C12; restored in 1987; walls, railings, gates and gate piers 1839, repositioned 1863. Arcade of magnesian limestone; railings, gates and gate piers of cast-iron, limestone walls. Arcade of 7 round arches of 3 orders, inner two of coupled shafts with moulded bases and carved capitals, now defaced. Each arch contained two trefoil-headed lights with centre shaft, now lost. Two shafts with elaborately carved capitals have been replaced. Each arch now closed by low plinth carrying a commemorative plate and surmounted by iron railings. Centre arch filled with laurel wreath cast in bronze. Boundary walls vary from approx 0.25 to 0.75m high and carry square section railings with tapering tips and turned standards with urn finials. Gates adjacent to the Minster Library (qv) and the Purey-Cust Chambers (qv) are of similar railings strengthened by arch or diagonal braces; piers are tapered cylinders on high pedestals with urn finials. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and the East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 109).
Listing NGR: SE6026052289