SE6051NW COPPERGATE 1112-1/28/273 (South East side) Nos.2, 4 AND 6 Galtres Chambers
Shops and offices. Dated 1906, with later shopfronts. Orange brick in English garden wall bond, and faience resembling ashlar, with faience dressings; brick stacks with faience cornices on Westmorland slate roof. Edwardian Baroque style. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 6-bay front, divided by quoined pilaster strips, right end bays canted on corner. Gabled entrance bay has doorcase of sunk-panelled pilasters, moulded modillion cornice, semicircular open pediment with oversize dropped keyblock, and recessed glazed door and screen in hollow-chamfered architrave. Doorcase flanked by single fixed light windows with Art Nouveau glazing and moulded sills. Windows above are paired sashes, 1-pane on first floor, 12-pane on second floor. Gable treated as open pediment with mutule cornice and dropped keyblock, over relief moulded cartouche containing building name, and date panel with semicircular hoodmould. Altered plate glass shopfronts flank entrance bay, between faience pilasters with moulded imposts and poppy head frieze blocks. Other upper floor windows are tripled 1-pane sashes, taller on first floor than on second floor. All windows have moulded sill bands; on first floor lintels are cornices enriched with egg-and-dart mouldings: on second floor, lintels are formed by moulded impost band to pilaster strips. Corner bays rise into keyed semicircular gables between ball and pedestal finials, enclosing sunk roundels filled with moulded festoons. Bays to left of entrance have plain frieze and mutule cornice. INTERIOR: not inspected. Included for group value on this pivotal site at the junction between Castlegate and Coppergate.
Listing NGR: SE6036951662