Listed Building: ST WILLIAMS COLLEGE (1258028)

See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade I
NHLE 1258028
Date assigned 14 June 1954
Date last amended


YORK SE6052SW COLLEGE STREET 1112-1/27/222 (North East side) 14/06/54 St William's College GV I College of the Chantry Priests of York Minster. c1465 with alterations of various dates, including frontispiece and staircase extension of mid C17 to north range; east range sub-divided and remodelled with entrance extension in early C18; south range converted to commercial use in late C18 and early C19. Substantially restored 1902 by Temple Moore. MATERIALS: magnesian limestone ashlar on chamfered plinth, timber-framed first floor with plastered infill and coved plaster eaves; north end of west range rebuilt in orange-brown brick in random bond; underbuilding in red brick in English garden-wall bond on courtyard side of south range. Staircase extension of orange brick in English garden-wall bond. Right return cement-rendered, rusticated on ground floor, and entrance extension of orange brick in random bond; coved timber eaves cornice. Roofs of pantile with tile verges in places, and brick stacks. EXTERIOR: street front: 2 storeys and attics; 10 bays: first floor has coved jetty between moulded wallplate and moulded bressumer, and exposed timber-framing: at right end, 2-storey 1-bay extension. Entrance in centre of original building flanked by side standards with crocketed pinnacles has panelled double doors in 4-centred moulded arch of 3 orders with shafted jambs. Above, in canopied niche beneath crocketed ogee hood, carving of St William flanked by armorial shields. On each side, coved jetty timbers carved as figures. To left of entrance is a 16-pane sash window with sunk-panel shutters: further left, paired 6-panel doors with small-pane overlights between small-pane bow windows with dentilled cornices and panelled shutters. To right of entrance, two shopfronts beneath continuous modillioned cornice have glazed and panelled doors and radial fanlights in doorcases of sunk-panel jambs, one with applied ornament, fluted necking and friezes, and paterae: windows are small- pane bows. Further right is a 4-light window with 12-pane casements and shutters of raised and fielded panelling. Extension has altered 6-panel passage door. On first floor are 5 renewed oriel windows with traceried lights; four 2-, 3- or 4-light mullioned windows, one with transom; and C18 oriel with tall 12-pane sash windows: 12-pane sash over gateway. Attic has gabled and raking dormers with 2-light windows. Rear: 2 storeys and attics, with altered irregular fenestration: 2-storey staircase extension off-centre to right; left end obscured by later building. Extension has rectangular and oval windows with moulded brick hoods. To left, traces of two full-height windows with 2-centred heads remain, one behind extension blocked with brick. The other, with stone blocking, retains original double hollow chamfered jambs, badly decayed, and sloped sill: on ground floor, 3-light window is of re-used C17 casements beneath timber lintel; on first floor, paired 12-pane sashes. Further left, is restored 6-light mullioned window with coved hoodmould on ground floor, and 4- and 3-light mullioned windows on first floor. To right of extension, fragments of 4-light mullioned window and slit light to right survive: at right end, former window with double chamfered jambs now converted to door: other ground floor openings altered. First floor windows are 1- and 2-light casements, and three 12-pane sashes. Portions of coved eaves survive. Left return: west range has exposed timber-framing and timber mullioned windows of 2 and 3 lights on first floor. Right return: east range of 2 storeys and attics; 9 bays: left end bay extended forward to provide entrance. Centre left door of 6 raised and fielded panels on H-L hinges, to left of tripartite 4:16:4-pane sash window: glazed door beneath divided overlight at centre right. Windows are 12-pane sashes on ground floor, with 8-pane sash at right end: 18-pane sashes on first floor, with 12-pane sash at right end: all windows have raised surrounds, those on ground floor rusticated. Coved eaves cornice. Hipped dormers have 2-light windows. Quadrangle fronts: 2 storeys with cellars and attics; chamfered cellar openings, mostly blocked, in plinth: timber-framed upper storey jettied as street front. 11 coved jetty timbers carved as figures and west range bressumer carved with rosettes and masks. Entrance passage opening is chamfered arch with angels bearing shields of arms carved in bressumer on either side. Frontispiece in north range has panelled double doors in keyed fasciated architrave recessed within doorcase of Ionic pilasters, entablature with pulvinated frieze, broken segmental pediment. Overdoor has oval sunk panel between squat pilasters over recessed shaped apron. Traces of original doorways with hollow chamfered jambs and 4-centred heads survive elsewhere. Windows are restored or reconstructed oriels or inserted casements with leaded lights; one original oriel, now blocked, survives in east range, of paired lights with traceried heads, carved base panels and moulded mullion: in south range, one Venetian window with radial-glazed centre sash, one boarded side light, and fitted flush panelled shutters; also, two 12-pane and one 18-pane sashes. INTERIOR: SOUTH RANGE: ground floor. Moulded spine beams and wall-plates survive in most rooms. Eastern end: early C20 dogleg staircase to attics with close string, open splat balusters, square newels with ball and pedestal finials, and heavy moulded handrail. Two rooms retain fireplaces with basket grates, one in plain surround, one in timber chimneypiece with panelled overmantel and moulded cornice supported on fluted Composite pilasters on pedestals with fretwork panels. Western end: room to left of entrance passage has blocked fireplace with segmental brick arch between two moulded stone doorways, one with 2-panel door to stone newel staircase. First floor. Landing has moulded cornice and eared bolection moulded doorcase to right of stairs. Eastern end: one room has panelled chimneypiece with hob grate in plain surround; adjacent room has bolection moulded fireplace with moulded shelf and overmantel panel. South-east room fitted with bolection moulded panelling, to full height on chimney wall and incorporating fireplace with overmantel between sunk-panel pilasters, and moulded cornice: 3-panels doors, one on H hinges, one on cockshead hinges, flank fireplace: panelled oriel window framed in keyed segmental arch on panelled pilasters with prominent moulded imposts. Western end: first room has moulded stone fireplace with quoined jambs, moulded spine beam and eared doorcase. South-west room has exposed framing and plaster infilling painted with flower and foliage trails: fireplace has moulded stone surround and shallow 4-centred head. Attic: centre room has fireplace inserted in chimney hood, with timber lintel and moulded stone shelf. NORTH RANGE: ground floor. Hall in centre has renewed coffered ceiling and chamfered plastered fireplace. Main staircase at rear rises to first floor, with close string, open splat balusters, square newels with shaped caps and heavy handrail. Second staircase to attics, towards western end, has moulded close string, turned balusters, square newels with attached half balusters, and heavy moulded handrail. First floor. Landing has coffered ceiling. Maclagan Hall, largely reconstructed, retains various re-used fragments of wainscotting and panelling: one original open collar truss with moulded arch braces survives. Two hatchments commemorate Memorial Services in York Minster, for Queen Victoria, 1902, for Edward VII, 1910. Bishops' Chamber lined with re-used and reconstructed panelling with reeded Ionic pilasters and moulded cornice: coved ceiling coffered with plaster moulded beams: fireplace in stone bolection moulded surround. WEST RANGE: ground floor. Chimney breast towards southern end has bolection moulded fireplace with moulded mantelshelf on one side, hob grate in fasciated surround with pulvinated frieze and dentilled moulded cornice shelf on the other. Brick fireplaces with arched heads survive at north end in outer wall. Staircase in north-west corner rises to attic, and has close string, twisted balusters, square panelled newels and heavy moulded handrail. First floor. Attic floor survives over north end only: room below has moulded stone fireplace with 4-centred head, square panelling, and moulded cornice. Remainder of range open to roof, retains two chimneybreasts, one with chamfered opening in plastered hood, the other fitted with raised and fielded panelling carved with early C19 graffiti. EAST RANGE: ground floor. Two staircases rise to attics: early C18 one at southern end has moulded close string, bulbous balusters, square newels and heavy moulded handrail: northern one early C20 copy. Two 2-panel doors survive. Northern end room has restored moulded stone fireplace with quoined jambs and 4-centred head. Another room is fully panelled, with doorcase, chimneypiece and window reveal, all bolection moulded: semi-domed alcove cupboard has fasciated round-arched surround with keyblock and shaped shelves, and raised and fielded panel doors on butterfly hinges below. First floor. Landing to north has 3-panel door to sub-divided centre room. First room has blocked corner fireplace in plain surround: second room fitted with bolection moulded panelling, doorcase and fireplace with overmantel panel, and moulded cornice: fireplace has basket grate and moulded cornice shelf. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 62-68). Listing NGR: SE6043952197

External Links (1)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SE 6043 5219 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Nov 30 2021 9:27PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.