SE5952NE CLIFTON 1112-1/7/207 (South West side) 24/06/83 Lodge at St Peter's School and attached wall and gate
Porters' lodge. c1844, altered in C20. By John Harper. White brick with limestone ashlar dressings. South-east wall now has painted scored render. Slate roof, hipped at front. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. The front wall, facing north-east towards the road, is of one bay with chamfered mullioned windows, of 4 lights on the ground floor and 3 on the 1st floor. Extending to the right there is a wall with moulded coping and chamfered Tudor-arched gateway with a cast-iron gate. This returns to enclose a former pedestrian entrance with archways in the side and rear walls. The house wall, which forms the 4th side of the enclosure, has a C20 casement window within a blocked chamfered Tudor-arched doorway. 2 chimneys on ridge. The left-hand return wall, which is rendered, has a 2-storey projection with a C20 casement window above a C20 doorway with hood. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 257; An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 53).
Listing NGR: SE5965152634