Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES (1259228)

See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade II
NHLE 1259228
Date assigned 14 March 1997
Date last amended


YORK SE5953SW CLIFTON 1112-1/5/201 (North East side) Church of St Philip and St James GV II Parish church. 1866-67; re-ordered in mid C20. By George Fowler Jones. MATERIALS: dressed stone with ashlar quoins and dressings and chamfered plinth: stone coped and gabled slate roofs with stone gable cross and finials; flat dormers on each side of roof have 7 arcaded clerestory lights with diamond leaded glazing. STYLE: Early English. PLAN: 2-bay chancel with north vestry and organ chamber; 5-bay nave with north and south transepts and north door; west tower with south porch and extruded staircase to north. EXTERIOR: east window of 5 lancets grouped in chamfered quoined surround with 2-centred head beneath hoodmould on head stops. Chancel north side obscured by vestry with 7-lobed light in circular surround in gable end and two 3-light windows with diamond leaded lights. South side bays divided by buttress; each bay has 3 grouped lancets in quoined chamfered surrounds beneath 2-centred relieving arches. Nave north and south sides have paired gabled transepts at eastern end and single cross-gabled bay at western end. Transepts separated by squat 2-stage gabled buttress, on south side with carved rainwater hopper at the head. Each transept has a 3-light window with plate tracery in a 2-centred head beneath hoodmould with foliate stops. On north side, C20 double doors in eastern transept are of plain board in quoined chamfer stopped opening. On south side, to west, is lean-to porch with board door in chamfered arched opening. Cross gabled bays at western end have windows of 3 stepped lancets with plate traceried 2-centred heads and hoodmoulds on corbel head stops. Other nave windows are groups of 3 lancets detailed as for chancel. 4-stage tower has gabled projecting porch to south: double doors are glazed with timber intersecting tracery and panelled and recessed in 2-centred arch of 3 orders beneath hoodmould on head stops. Orders spring from chamfered responds and are enriched with attached leaf mouldings, many now lost. Filleted moulded impost string is returned and steps up and down to form sillstring beneath windows in all parts of building. In gable apex is sunk foiled triangular moulding incorporating the letters IHS. West window is trefoil headed in pointed arch of 3 orders, the outer of slender angle shafts with bell capitals, shaft rings and moulded bases, the inner enriched and continuously moulded. Above is single chamfered pointed slit light. Third stage has diamond shaped clock face to west and south. Belfry is set back and has attached angle shafts with moulded capitals and shaft rings. Each face has chamfered opening with plate tracery in the 2-centred head and paired arched lights with scalloped louvres springing from square responds and slender centre shafts with moulded capitals. Corbelled eaves cornice beneath pyramidal roof with lucarnes and weathervane. 2-stage half hexagonal staircase turret has staggered square-headed slit lights and single blind trefoil at the head of each face beneath half conical roof. INTERIOR: chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders dies into responds. Transept arches of 3 orders spring from squat cylindrical columns with moulded capitals in the centre, from responds at the outer ends except for the inner orders which spring from moulded corbels. Chancel and transept arches now screened with glazed timber partitions. Tower arch is low and 2-centred and screened by C20 reredos. Hammerbeam roof to nave has arch braced trusses with squat king posts above the collars and pendant finials. Over westernmost bay, carved and gilded heraldic angels are attached. Listing NGR: SE5930953117

External Links (1)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SE 5930 5311 (point) (2 map features)
Map sheet SE55SE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Nov 30 2021 9:27PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.