SE6051NW CASTLEGATE 1112-1/28/134 (North East side) 14/06/54 Nos.1, 3 AND 3A (Formerly Listed as: CASTLEGATE Nos.1 AND 3)
House, now two shops. Early C18, with alterations of early C19 and later. Dark red brick in Flemish bond, with moulded and modillioned eaves cornice of timber; tiled roof with roof lights and brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 2-window front. Originally central entrance hall plan. Central glazed door beneath cross-glazed overlight in triple-keyed eared architrave. To left, glazed shop door in similar architrave, with small-pane bowed shop window further left: to right, C20 shopfront of plain pilasters, frieze and moulded cornice incorporates part-glazed door with radial fanlight and small-pane shop window. On first floor, window to left is shallow bow with unequal 15-pane sashes beneath panelled frieze and moulded cornice: to right, is 12-pane sash. On second floor, window to left is tripartite with 12-pane central sash: to right, a 12-pane sash. All windows except bow have flat arches of gauged brick. Broad raised bands of brick to first and second floors, that on first floor interrupted by bow window. At left corner of cornice is rainwater head bearing initials EP and date 1758. Right return at rear of carriage arch to No.7 Castlegate (qv) has 20-pane sash on first floor, and brick dentil eaves cornice. INTERIOR: staircase at rear of entrance passage rises from ground to second floor. First flight is open string, upper flights close string: balusters are column on vase, 2 to a stair to lower flight, and broad handrail is moulded and ramped-up. On ground floor, shop to left has cornices to front and back rooms, and quarter-round moulded spine beam in front room. On first floor landing, one leaf of panelling survives, and in room to left at top of stairs a cupboard door on H-hinges, both of 2 raised and fielded panels. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 111).
Listing NGR: SE6037851657