SE6051NW CASTLEGATE 1112-1/28/139 (South West side) 19/08/71 No.18
House, now shop. Early C18, with earlier origins; renovated with new shopfront c1986. Original building timber-framed, now encased in brick, painted at front, with painted stone architraves and renewed moulded cornice; slate roof at front, pantile at back, with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-bay front. Shopfront with glazed door between bracketed windows. Upper floor windows are 12-pane sashes in raised architraves with sills, centre one on first floor pedimented. Centre windows on both floors enclosed in shallow raised panel with rebated head. Raised first floor band, broken by centre panel. INTERIOR: not inspected, but RCHM record elements of timber-framing of full-height hall exposed in rear wall during renovations in 1986. In 1852, house was recorded as the Rectory of St Mary's Church, Castlegate (now The York Story, qv). (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 114).
Listing NGR: SE6040851608