SE5952NE BOOTHAM 1112-1/7/93 (North East side) 14/06/54 Nos.75 AND 77
Formerly known as: Nos.77 AND 79 BOOTHAM. Two houses, now shops, flats and guest house. Dated 1770; extensively altered in C20. Brick in Flemish bond with some painted stone dressings. Slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 5 bays, with a 1st floor sill band. No.77 has a C20 shopfront on the ground floor with a corner doorway and plate glass display windows to the front and left-hand return walls. On the 1st floor there is a wide C20 bay window which interrupts the sill band. The 2nd floor windows are C20 casements with external louvred shutters. No.75 has glazing bar sash windows to the upper storeys and a C20 shopfront below. The central bay has windows with external louvred shutters, a sashed 2nd floor window, and paired doorways with a dentilled cornice hood, enriched frieze, and carved console brackets. The glazed doors are C20. To the left of the central bay is a rainwater pipe with a lead hopper dated '1770'. The gutter cornice is modillioned and dentilled. 2 axial chimneys on ridge. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase in No.75 with turned balusters and newels. No.77 (formerly No.79) was first listed 19/8/71. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 62).
Listing NGR: SE5976752581