SE5952SE BOOTHAM 1112-1/12/80 (North East side) 14/06/54 Nos.53 AND 55 and attached railings
House, later divided into 2 houses, and now school offices. Built c1765; divided into two c1770-1; extended to north-west and porch added early C19. Probably designed by John Carr. Brick with painted stone or stucco dressings. Slate roof. EXTERIOR: main facade symmetrical, of 3 storeys with cellars and attics and 5 bays. Above the ground floor there is a painted storey band, and the timber cornice gutter is modillioned and dentilled. Above each rubbed brick flat arch the 1st floor windows have painted cornices without architrave or frieze. The windows are sashed, except for the 2nd floor windows which are sashed with glazing bars, and the central window on the 1st floor which also has glazing bars but is blind. The attic is lit by a small flat-roofed dormer. The two central entrance doors each have 6 raised and fielded panels, pilaster reveals, and plain rectangular overlights. They share a Greek Doric porch with a dentilled cornice and 3 partly-fluted columns. Gable chimneys. At the left there is a projecting early C19 addition of 2 bays which has glazing bar sashes, and a door to a passageway at the left of the single ground-floor window. A change in brickwork suggests that the upper storey may be a later addition. The roof is hidden by a parapet with coping. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase with turned balusters to No.55. Other fittings include moulded cornices and a single original fireplace. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the basement area in front of the main building is enclosed by iron railings on low stone copings. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 60).
Listing NGR: SE5996952435