SE5952SE BOOTHAM 1112-1/12/82 (South West side) 14/06/54 No.56 Bootham Lodge and attached railings
House, now offices. Built between 1840 and 1845 for Thomas Walker. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stucco and timber dressings. Hipped slate roofs. EXTERIOR: main building 3 storeys and 3 bays, with 2-storey one-bay wings to left and right. The windows to the 2nd floor and wings are sashed; the others are sashed without glazing bars. The central window on the 1st floor and the ground-floor windows have surrounds with Tuscan pilasters and cornices. The window cornices of the outer bays of the main house project as balconies to the 1st floor windows and have railings cast with wheel-like circular patterns. The other windows have architraves. The porch has unfluted Greek Doric columns and pilaster responds, and forms a balcony with railings matching those of the adjacent windows. The door has 8 raised and fielded panels and is set within an architrave. The left-hand wing has a carriage entrance on the ground floor with an elliptical brick arch, and a smaller pedestrian entrance to the right. The main eaves are carried on paired rectangular brackets. Chimneys to left and right of main building. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records entrance hall with 2 Doric columns. 2 staircases with cast-iron balusters and mahogany handrails. Other original fittings include cornices, overdoors and fireplace all by Wolstenholme. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the basement areas are enclosed by iron railings on low stone copings. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 63).
Listing NGR: SE5991652392