SE5952SE BOOTHAM 1112-1/12/76 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.47 and attached railings
House, now part of school. 1753. By John Carr for Mrs Mary Thompson. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings and hipped slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys above cellars and 4 bays. The ground and first floor windows have sill bands, each with a second band below, and lengths of cornice over rubbed brick flat arches. The windows are glazing bar sashes. The ground-floor windows have external shutters, each with 3 raised and fielded panels. The door, in the left-hand bay, has 8 raised and fielded panels, a plain rectangular overlight, an architrave, and a cornice on console brackets. Towards the left-hand side of the deep timber gutter cornice there is a lead rainwater downpipe and a hopper with a monogram of initials. Axial chimney near centre of roof. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records good quality original fittings including staircase with turned balusters and enriched plaster ceiling; dining room with panelling, doorcases and fireplace; saloon on first floor with fireplace and pedimented overmantel. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the basement area is enclosed by plain railings on low stone copings. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 58).
Listing NGR: SE5998452381