SE5952SE BOOTHAM 1112-1/12/77 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.49 and attached railings
Two houses, now part of school. Built late C17; converted into one house and raised by a storey c1738; doorway altered late C18. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings and hipped slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 4 bays. The facade has chamfered quoins and 2 storey bands. The upper one is moulded and may formerly have been the eaves cornice. The present cornice gutter is of timber with modillions. The windows are boxed sashes with glazing bars and have rubbed brick arches with keystones. The doorway, in the 3rd bay, has a door with 6 raised and fielded panels, a fanlight, and a doorcase with fluted pilasters carrying an open pediment. No chimneys visible. A bronze plaque attached to the front wall records incorrectly that Joseph Rowntree lived here 1836-1925. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records good quality fittings c1738, including staircase with turned balusters; 2 ground floor rooms have panelling and fireplaces with moulded surrounds; upper floor rooms have simple C18 fittings and fireplace. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the basement area is enclosed by iron railings on low stone copings. The standards have urn finials. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 59).
Listing NGR: SE5997452386