SE6052SW BOOTHAM 1112-1/13/69 (North East side) 19/08/71 No.25
House, now shop and offices. 1766, altered and extended mid/late C19. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stucco dressings and cast-iron ornamentation. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic. 7 bays. A difference in brick colour suggests that the 2 left-hand bays are an addition. The windows to the upper storeys have rubbed brick flat arches and projecting sills. The 1st floor windows are sashed and the 2nd floor windows are sashed without glazing bars. There are 2 flat-roofed attic dormers. The shopfronts are of stucco and have cornices surmounted by cast-iron brattishing, pilasters, and brackets. The left-hand shopfront occupies bays 1 to 4 and has a central segmental pediment with brackets carried on cast-iron columns. The right-hand shopfront occupies bays 6 and 7. The original entrance remains in the 5th bay and has a pilaster doorcase, a door with 6 panels, and a semicircular overlight. To the right of the entrance bay there is a lead rainwater pipe with a hopper inscribed 'TG 1768'. Gable chimneys. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase with turned balusters with square knops and ramped and moulded handrail. Various cornices, dado rails and window architraves. The initials TG are those of Thomas Gilbank, who purchased the house in 1768. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 55).
Listing NGR: SE6007152306