SE6052SE BEDERN 1112-1/14/24 (South West side) 14/06/54 Bedern Chapel (Formerly Listed as: BEDERN Fragment of the Bedern Chapel)
Formerly known as: St Peter's Chapel BEDERN. Chapel of the College of Vicars Choral of York Minster; now store room. 1252; altered in mid C14 and later; renovated and re-roofed in late C20. Original building of magnesian limestone ashlar and rubble; west gable wall rebuilt in red brick in random bond with limestone quoins; pantile roof. EXTERIOR: north front to street: 1-storey 4-bay front. Entrance at western end through C20 door in chamfered opening with 2-centred head. Windows are of 2- and 3-lights, blocked below transoms and with square latticed glazing above: diamond-section mullions largely renewed. East of centre window is truncated concave niche. All openings have splayed openings and sloping sills. INTERIOR: east end: long rectangular recess with flat arch of chamfered stones: reset scalloped capital and tapering brackets in centre and at each end. North side: at western end, doorway has square jambs and chamfered flattened 2-centred rere-arch; above, to right, quarter-round gallery corbel; at eastern end, remains of aumbry with chamfered lintel. South side: at eastern end, keel-moulded doorway with 2-centred head blocked on outside; at western end, remains of blocked second door. West end: blocked central doorway to right of blocked aumbry in rebated surround. All window openings are splayed. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 58-60).
Listing NGR: SE6050952139