SE6052SE BEDERN 1112-1/14/25 (South West side) 24/06/83 Bedern Hall
Common hall of the College of Vicars Choral of York Minster; now meeting hall and guildhall. Mid C14; restored and extension added 1984. MATERIALS: one wall timber-framed; coursed limestone incorporating re-used moulded stone, on chamfered plinth; restored in orange-pink brick in English garden-wall bond with dressings of tooled stone; boxed timber eaves to steeply pitched pantile roof. EXTERIOR: 1-storey 4-bay fronts. Entrance in extension at eastern end of south-west front through C20 door on strap hinges in renewed chamfered doorway with 2-centred head. Similar door in north- east front. Windows on both fronts are double chamfered with 2-centred heads, some retaining original fabric, now filled with C20 square lattice glazing. Original tracery survives in one window on north-east front, of 2 cusped and lobed lights beneath traceried head and with hollow-chamfered mullion and transom. INTERIOR: renewed doorways are of 2 orders with 2-centred heads recessed beneath segmental rere-arches. Fragments of hollow chamfered surrounds survive to some windows. Wall to service end of hall contains 2 blocked chamfered pointed doorways, one original, one reconstructed in brick, beneath exposed timber-framing. Roof of scissor trusses carried on moulded wall plate; 3 trusses have arch braces rising from 2 original, 4 renewed corbels. Stone-flagged floor. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 60).
Listing NGR: SE6052652108