SE6051NW BISHOPHILL SENIOR 1112-1/28/36 (North East side) 14/06/54 Nos.11 AND 13 Bishophill House
Formerly known as: No.13 Bishophill House BISHOPHILL SENIOR. Town house, now hotel. Early C18, extended in 1740; extended further in late C18, and altered in early C19; renovated c1980, following fire. Pink mottled brick in Flemish bond, on chamfered brick plinth at front; painted stone doorcase and timber eaves cornice; slate roof with brick stacks. PLAN: original plan L-shaped, with extensions to left and left rear. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 5-window front. Pedimented Ionic doorcase with attached shafts on stone bases, pulvinated frieze and modillion cornice; double doors, each of 8 fielded panels, beneath radial fanlight, in round arch on pilaster responds with moulded imposts. All windows are 1-pane sashes with painted stone sills, those on second floor squat; all have flat arches of gauged brick, those on first floor painted and keyed. Raised brick bands at first and second floor levels. Fasciated eaves band beneath plain cornice on heavy carved brackets, returned at each end. One gabled dormer in attic. Rear: on first floor, semicircular bow window with bronze frame and glazing bars. INTERIOR: entrance hall retains original stone-flagged floor, moulded cornice, and doorcases with pulvinated frieze and dentil cornice. Round stairhall arch on fluted Ionic pilasters with panelled reveals, moulded imposts and egg-and-dart enrichment. In ground floor flanking rooms, window surrounds are reeded with angle blocks. Rococo plaster ceiling from the Saloon reinstated at Peasholme House, St Saviour's Place (qv). Remaining fittings and staircase, as described by RCHM, destroyed in fire. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 59-61).
Listing NGR: SE6007551507