Former Goods Station, now railway museum. 1875-77 with minor late C20 alterations. Designed by Benjamin Burleigh for the Great Northern Railway Co. 2-storey office block with single-storey goods sheds behind. Red brick with white brick and ashlar dressings. Slate roofs to office block and steel sheeting to sheds. Office block has blue and white brick impost band, projecting first-floor cill band and deeply moulded brick cornice. Main north-east facade has 9 windows with a 2-storey, 2-window, central entrance projection. Central round-headed doorway with deeply moulded brick doorcase and double doors with octagonal panels and a tall, 2-light, fanlight. This entrance is approached up a double flight of steps with an ornate iron balustrade. Above are 2 segmental-headed sash windows. Either side are 4 round-headed windows with keystones, those to left with margin-light windows and those to right with sashes; above are 4 smaller segmental-headed sashes each with a moulded lower panel. Side facades have 4 windows each, with similar fenestration. Goods sheds have giant brick pilasters and deeply moulded brick cornice. Either side of the office block is a single wide segmental arch with ashlar impost blocks, keystones and hood mould. Sides have 11 bays defined by pilasters with two symmetrically placed entrance arches at bays 4 and 8. Rear facade has 4 main gables with various large and small segmental entrance arches, small central single projection with slate roof and irregular fenestration.
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.