NORTH YORKSHIRE RYEDALE 5340
SE 65 SW OSBALDWICK MURTON WAY (south side) 4/26 Church of St Thomas 29.1.53
Church. C12 in origin with extensive restoration of 1877 by J Oldrid Scott and alterations and additions of 1967 by A Mennim. Hammer-dressed limestone, plain tile roof. Medieval 4-bay nave and chancel, south transept with vestry and porch to south and organ chamber to south-east of 1967. West front: 2-light plate-traceried window beneath round arch with hood- mould and label stops, with oculus and bellcote above. C20 porch to right. Nave: north side has 3 windows as west front, the central one being a restoration, and 2 full-length C20 windows. The south side of the nave is obscured by the flat-roofed vestry. The 3-light Perpendicular window in the south wall of the south transept is relocated from the east front which is now blind. Interior: substantially remodelled on L-shaped plan in 1967. Jacobean pulpit and communion rail. East side of south transept has relocated round-arched doorway. Monument in south wall to Mary Ward: "To love the poore, persever in the same, live, dy and rise with them was all the ayme of Mary Ward who having lived 60 years and 8 days dyed the 20th of Jan 1641."
Listing NGR: SE6350251867