SE6052SW STONEGATE 1112-1/27/1022 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.23 York Medical Society (Formerly Listed as: STONEGATE No.23 Mulberry Court)
House; now offices, headquarters of York Medical Society and flats. Late C16, incorporating remains of earlier structures, including probable crosswing of No.2 Coffee Yard (Barley Hall) (qv); alterations, extensions and subdivisions of mid C17, mid C18, early C19 and 1870; restored 1976. Original building timber-framed. MATERIALS: entrance front rendered with planted timber-framing; wing to left has ground floor in stretcher bond brick, first floor of incised render; wing to right is orange-grey brick in Flemish bond. Rear encased in orange-brown brick, some Flemish bond, most random bond; first floor of one block rendered. Plain tile and pantile roofs with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: entrance front: gabled main block of 2 storeys and attic, between projecting wings, 2 storeys to left, 2 storeys and attic to right. Main block ground floor filled by stone porch with heavy dentilled cornice and truncated moulded pediment: beneath are paired 6-panel doors with divided overlights, approached by short flight of steps. 16-pane sash on first floor: two tiers of 8-pane Yorkshire sashes to attic. To right, in angle with wing, is an embattled rainwater head dated 1590. Left wing: paired 12-pane sash windows on ground floor: 24-pane sash to first floor. Ground floor of gable end has tripartite window: first floor has canted oriel with 3:6:3-pane lights. Right wing: scattered ground floor fenestration. At left end, tall round-arched radial-glazed staircase sash with painted stone sill. Ground floor of gable end obscured by yard wall: first floor incorporates earlier timber-framed gable truss on first floor. Rear to garden: two gabled bays in centre, each of 2 storeys with attics, right one with jettied attic and plain bargeboards on brackets; to left, 3-storey gabled wing with 1-storey extension projecting at front; to right, single 2-storey bay terminating in 3-storey block. Centre bays have margin-glazed and flush panelled door with radial fanlight to right of centre: on each side are two 12-pane sash windows on ground and first floors, those on first floor shorter: attic windows are squat 6-pane sashes: all have painted stone sills. Extension to left has canted French doors in glazed and
panelled screen in re-entrant with wing, and two 12-pane sash windows. Wing has 16-pane sash windows and C20 openings on first and second floors. To right, link bay has 4-pane fixed light with timber lintel on ground floor; on first floor, canted bay window with small-pane casements. End block has C20 tripartite windows on each floor in gable end, and 2-course raised brick bands. Tumbled brick gable surmounted by corbelled-out gabled dovecote. Return to garden has flight of brick steps leading to C20 first floor doorway. Right return: restored inserted 8-light ground floor window with ovolo moulded mullions and transoms. INTERIOR: not fully inspected. Left side. Ground floor: mid C18 staircase has open string, slender turned balusters, two to a tread, and moulded ramped-up handrail, wreathed at foot around turned newel: matching dado rail to stairwell. Wing at rear has fireplace with moulded bressumer. First floor: wing at rear noted to have fireplace with composition mouldings. Right side. Ground floor: early C19 staircase has straight flight of stone steps with balustrade of cast-iron panels incorporating anthemion and snake motifs. Room in front part lined with C17 panelling. Dining room (now Lecture Room) has plaster frieze of Greek fret and paterae beneath enriched cornice. Library has fireplace of Ionic columns with frieze of urns and garlanded medallions, flanked by round-arched niches. First floor: landing spanned by arches springing from piers encasing timber-frame posts. Room at rear lined with early C17 panelling with frieze of cabled fluting; bolection moulded fireplace beneath overmantel with fluted engaged columns. HISTORICAL NOTE: the 1590 rainwater head is the earliest surviving in York. The building has had medical associations since at least the early C19 when it belonged to the Anderson family: at the end of the century it was the residence of the noted antiquarian Dr Tempest Anderson, MD. It came into the possession of the York Medical Society in 1944. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 229).
Listing NGR: SE6027352021