SE6052SW STONEGATE 1112-1/27/1033 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.37
Formerly known as: No.24 STONEGATE. Two houses of terrace of three; now one shop. Mid C18, altered to shop in early C19; further alteration and extension later. Orange brick in Flemish bond with timber shopfront and eaves cornice; timber doorcase with cast-iron glazing bars to fanlight; pantile roof. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-window front. Shopfront framed in sunk-panel pilasters with beaded foliate consoles and pendants at the head. Stone steps lead to glazed double doors beneath ornate fanlight in round-arched architrave with impost band enriched with flutes and pellets: flanking shop windows are shallow small-pane bows beneath moulded bowed friezes with mask stops. Doors surmounted by spurious cartouche of arms. To right of shopfront is doorcase of fluted Corinthian columns and bowed fluted frieze with floral stops: door of 6 beaded panels beneath radial fanlight recessed in panelled round-arched opening with impost band enriched with flutes and pellets. Tympanum filled with garlanded grotesque mask. Windows on first floor are 12-pane sashes with sill band cased in lead, on second floor unequal 9-pane sashes with painted stone sills. All windows have flat arches of orange gauged brick, those on second floor covered by moulded and modillioned cornice. INTERIOR: slender fluted columns support ground floor ceiling. Rear extension lit by domed roof light. (Murray H: Heraldry and the Buildings of York: York: 1985-; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 234-5).
Listing NGR: SE6028552064