SE6051SW SKELDERGATE 1112-1/21/911 (South West side) 14/02/77 No.52
Sawmill and timber warehouse; now gymnasium. 1839; later alteration. For John Henry Cattley. Pink mottled brick in Flemish bond, with ashlar dressings; hipped roof of Welsh slate, with wrought-iron corner brackets. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay front, with slightly projecting end bays. Ground floor arcade of five round arches, formerly open, the end ones now closed by panelled double doors, centre ones blocked by brick walling and C20 radial-glazed windows. Former lifting door in centre of first floor, between segment-arched windows, and semicircular blind recesses containing similar windows in outer bays. On second floor, former lifting door in centre between circular openings, and flat arched windows in outer bays. Arcade impost band on ground floor; painted ashlar first floor band; moulded ashlar sills to openings in first and second floor outer bays. INTERIOR: two massive cylindrical brick piers on ground floor. Roof constructed of 7 king-post trusses of heavy scantling, with raking struts and a ridge beam. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 102).
Listing NGR: SE6024351390