SE6051SW SKELDERGATE 1112-1/21/917 (North East side) 14/02/77 Bonding Warehouse and attached walls, railings and gate piers
Formerly known as: Bonded Warehouse SKELDERGATE. Warehouse, and attached walls, railings and gate piers bounding yard to north-west. Dated 1875. By George Styan, City of York Surveyor. MATERIALS: pink mottled brick in Flemish bond with polychrome brick dressings; ashlar plinth, banded in blue brick, forms river front revetment; hipped roofs of Welsh slate. Yard wall of brick with ashlar coping; cast-iron railings. Ashlar gate piers. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 7-bay river front, with paired 2-storey 3-bay fronts to left. 3-storey range: centre bay, between giant pilasters, has C20 glazed door on ground floor, and original lifting doors on upper floors. Ground and first floor windows in flanking bays are segment-headed, with moulded brick architraves and ashlar sills, beneath arches of moulded brick with ashlar inserts; small-pane glazing incorporates central top-hung opening panels. First floor windows recessed over shaped panels of contrasting brick. Second floor windows are round-arched and radial-glazed, over sill band. Moulded eaves string course beneath frieze of shallow shaped panels of contrasting brick, and ashlar eaves band. Low parapet rises over centre bay as segmental pedimented gable between panelled piers flanked by volutes. Urn finials to piers and pediment. Carved panel in gable depicts the arms of the City of York. Paired 2-storey fronts have C20 glazed doors on ground floor and original lifting doors on second floor. Fenestration detail repeats that on 3-storey front. Roof parapet stepped-up to form plinth surmounted by ball and pedestal finials over junction of fronts. Left return: 2 storeys, 5 bays, outer bays convex on plan. Centre bay, between giant pilasters, has blind window on each floor, and arcaded eaves corbel table of ashlar and polychrome brick. Fenestration in flanking bays repeats that on river front, while end bays have blind windows. Eaves frieze, cornice and parapet continue from river front, with curved gable over centre bay, inscribed: "BONDING WAREHOUSE/ AD 1875". Street front: 3-storey 6-bay range with 1-storey pent bay at left end, set back from paired 2-storey 3-bay wings to right. Left range has tiered lifting doors in left of centre bay, and segment-arched double board doors in pent bay. Ground floor windows segment-arched, with ashlar sills and sill band; first floor windows segment-arched with ashlar sills, recessed over shaped panels of contrasting brick and raised first floor
band. Second floor windows round-arched with radial glazing, beneath keyed hoods on corbel stops; raised sill band and narrow impost band. Panelled eaves frieze beneath flat cornice of ashlar and plain parapet. Paired wings have wide segment-arched doorways in centre bays, left one with original sliding doors, right one with double board doors set in brick screen. Blind segment-arched windows flank doorways, over raised sill band which rises over doors to form door arches. First floor window detailing repeats that of 3-storey range; centre windows are blind and have half-hipped canopies on console brackets. First floor band. Parapet with plinth between volutes will ball and pedestal finials at junction. INTERIOR: full-height staircase with stone steps and cast-iron banisters and handrail survives in 3-storey part. Lower floors are brick vaulted on cast-iron columns against fire. 3-storey part roofed on 5 massive queen-post trusses; 2-storey part on 4 king-post trusses. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: low yard wall with chamfered coping, raked up at right end, with flat coping. Diagonally set pointed railings. Chamfered, bar-stopped gate piers, square on plan, with rounded cross-pedimented caps.
Listing NGR: SE6032851329