SE6051NW SHAMBLES 1112-1/28/1120 (South West side) 14/06/54 Nos.37 AND 38
Formerly known as: Nos.36, 37 AND 38 SHAMBLES. Pair of houses, now shops and workshops. Late C15; late C17 extension to No.38. Both renovated with some rebuilding c1950. Timber-framed, rendered at front; rear of No.37 of pink-orange brick in English bond, rear of No.38 rendered; extension rebuilt in buff-orange brick in English garden-wall bond. Parallel pantile roofs with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 2-storey front, 2-gabled bays; jettied first floor and timber-frame exposed, including crown post trusses in both gables. Through passage at left end, beneath ogee-arched lintel. Shops have glazed and panelled doors with divided overlights: No.37 has 2x8-pane Yorkshire sash window, No.38 4-light fixed window. First floor windows are 2x8-pane Yorkshire sashes. Fluted inverted bell rainwater head to each house. INTERIOR: timber-framing, partly renewed on first floor of No.37, visible throughout building. On ground floor, both rear rooms have fireplaces, that to No.37 in plain surround with cornice shelf; that to No.38 with chamfered timber lintel. First floor front room of No.38 has fireplace in plain surround with shelf on shaped brackets. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 217).
Listing NGR: SE6045151862