SE6051NE ST SAVIOUR'S PLACE 1112-1/17/980 (North side) 14/06/54 No.14 and garden wall, gate and railings attached at front
House with attached front garden wall, gate and railings. Mid C18 with early C19 alteration. Orange-grey mottled brick in Flemish bond with orange brick quoins and dressings; timber doorcase and moulded modillion cornice; pantile roof with brick stacks. Garden wall of red and black brick in English garden-wall bond with stone coping: gate and railings of cast-iron. PLAN: central entrance. EXTERIOR: cellar and 3 storeys; 3-window front. Area steps to left of front door lead to 4-panel cellar door and window beneath timber lintel. Front door of 6 raised and fielded panels beneath semicircular fanlight within doorcase of fluted pilasters and dentilled open pediment. Windows on ground and first floors are 16-pane sashes with flat arches of gauged brick, on second floor squat 8-pane sashes: all have painted stone sills. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: garden wall attached to left approximately 1.75 metres high, returns along street front approximately .30 metres to .75 metres high, surmounted by railings. Front gate and railings are turned, gate posts turned and tapering, topped with ball finials. House was built as the Manse to the former Wesleyan Methodist chapel, now Nos 60 and 62 Aldwark (qv), attached at rear. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 211).
Listing NGR: SE6068651985