SE6051NW ST HELEN'S SQUARE 1112-1/28/941 (North West side) 27/01/95 Joseph Terry House, Breary's Court
House and shop, now offices. Early C19, probably with earlier origins; raised and altered later in C19 and early C20; restored 1991. Orange-cream brick, probably stuccoed originally; slate roof with right end brick stack. Central stairhall plan, one room deep. EXTERIOR: 3-storey front with irregular fenestration. Central doorcase of fluted Tuscan columns, fluted frieze and flat cornice hood, with 6-panel door. To left, 3-light bow window with 12-pane centre sash in fluted frame with fluted frieze and moulded cornice. Opening to right of door. Two original 12-pane sash windows on first floor, with later inserted window at left end. Second floor added, including irregularly placed 12-pane sashes beneath flat arches. All windows have painted sills. INTERIOR: closed string staircase with stick balusters, turned newel and moulded handrail. In ground floor room to left, arched fireplace survives. On first floor, room to left retains plain fireplace with flat shelf, flanked by cupboards with 3-panel doors. On top floor, plain fireplace with hob grate reset in end room to right. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house is that from which Messrs. Bayldon and Berry, Confectionary Wholesalers, are shown as conducting their business in a Directory of 1818. In 1830 the company became Joseph Terry & Co., later known as Terry's of York. (Terry's of York: Joseph Terry & Sons. Ltd: Terry's of York, 1767-1967: York: 1967-).
Listing NGR: SE6013651971