SE6052SE ST ANDREWGATE 1112-1/14/933 (South East side) 14/06/54 St Andrew's Evangelical Church (Formerly Listed as: ST ANDREWGATE St Andrew's Hall)
Formerly known as: Church of St Andrew ST ANDREWGATE. Parish church, now non-denominational church. C15 nave with early C19 extension on site of late C14 former chancel: C20 renovation. MATERIALS: reused Roman gritstone and magnesian limestone, with brick blocking; rebuilt and patched with various brick mostly in stretcher or random bond; pantile roof with inserted half-hipped dormers on both sides of chancel/ extension. PLAN: 4-bay nave and chancel; west bell turret. EXTERIOR: former chancel on chamfered plinth. East end has blocked doorway to south and two 12-pane windows with painted stone sill. On north side, original window opening with splayed reveals has inserted 16-pane sash. South side has C20 door and 2 windows. Nave has moulded plinth. On north side, two square-headed windows beneath decayed hoodmoulds, of 2 cinquefoiled lights with mouchette tracery in the head, one part original, one completely renewed: towards west end, blocked doorway in chamfered 2-centred arch, blocked with brick. Openings on south much altered; C20 windows and door beneath timber lintel. West end has C20 cross window in rebuilt gable, above blocked former window. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original tie beams to roof and remnants of timber-framed bell turret at west end. HISTORICAL NOTE: Church of St Andrew was first mentioned in 1194. It was redundant by 1586, when the parish was united with St Saviour's, and used for a variety of secular purposes until late C20. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 10).
Listing NGR: SE6056752034