Listed Building: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (1256921)

See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade I
NHLE 1256921
Date assigned 14 June 1954
Date last amended


YORK SE6051NW PAVEMENT 1112-1/28/862 (South East side) 14/06/54 Church of All Saints GV I Parish church. C14 arcades and south wall, refaced in C19; tower c1400, lantern rebuilt 1837; mid C15 clerestory; chancel demolished and east end rebuilt c1780, remodelled 1887; north wall and west end rebuilt 1834; vestry 1850-55, enlarged 1912. Ceilings repainted 1987. Rebuilding of east end by William Bellwood; remodelling by Fisher and Hepper, carving by GC Milburn. MATERIALS: magnesian limestone ashlar on chamfered plinth of rubble stone; C18 masonry vertically tooled; asphalt and lead roofs. PLAN: truncated cruciform plan with 3-bay aisled nave and clerestory, south vestry and embraced west tower. EXTERIOR: east end of chancel and transepts flanked by offset buttresses with gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles. East window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with cusped reticulated tracery in 2-centred head between similar transept windows, all with moulded sillstrings. Towards west end of north side, C18 panelled door with 2-centred head and C12 closing ring in form of a dragon swallowing a human figure. South side buttressed, with projecting gabled vestry at western end, with squat diagonal buttresses surmounted by gabled crocketed finials and board double doors on wrought-iron hinges: square-headed windows of 2 and 3 cinquefoiled lights in extension. North and vestry doorways are chamfered with coved hoodmoulds on corbel stops. North side has five 3-light windows, south side four. Clerestory bays on both sides articulated by pilaster buttresses with gargoyles, originally surmounted by crocketed pinnacles: one remains on south side. Square-headed windows are of 3 cinquefoiled lights. 2-stage west tower surmounted by octagonal lantern. West window of 5 cinquefoiled lights beneath panel tracery in 2-centred head, flanked by offset buttresses. North and south faces have small pointed doorways to aisle roofs; clock face above each. Belfry openings on each face are of 3 cinquefoiled louvred lights in flattened 4-centred heads with hoodmoulds, above belfry string. Lantern is buttressed with crocketed pinnacles and gargoyles between tiered lights of twin cinquefoiled openings with panel tracery in 2-centred head. Parapet composed of cinquefoiled openings beneath crocketed gablets. Aisle west windows are of 3 cinquefoiled lights. All window openings are hollow chamfered and have coved return-stopped hoodmoulds, except the east window which has corbelheads: all, except the west window, have reticulated tracery in the head. All parts of church including vestry, clerestory and tower, are encircled by coved eaves string beneath embattled parapets, raked up over gables and aisle ends. INTERIOR: east window set in rebuilt former chancel arch. North and south arcades, incorporating original transept arches at east end, spring from octagonal columns and responds with moulded capitals and bases. Westernmost arches die into tower piers. Nave arcades have a continuous hoodmould, former transept arches hoodmoulds on C19 carved headstops. Arches springing from arcade easternmost columns and half octagonal responds to north and south divide transepts from aisles. All arches are 2 centred and double chamfered. Tower arches are 2 centred, of 3 chamfered orders and die into octagonal piers and half octagonal responds. South west pier contains tower stair door in pointed chamfered opening. C12 masonry survives over east window arch and tower arch. C15 nave and chancel roof panelled with moulded ribs, with carved and painted bosses at intersections. C19 aisle roofs panelled to imitate nave roof on half trusses filled with cusped ogee arches between vertical struts. FITTINGS: include: hexagonal pulpit on tapered pedestal with cusped panel sides between multi-tiered colonnettes ornamented with jewel carvings and grotesques; sounding board capped by voluted panels carved with winged cherub heads; both inscribed with texts, sounding board dated 1634. Oak lectern on square pedestal, buttressed between crocketed canopied niches housing late C19 carvings of the Evangelists (from St Crux). Fine early C20 reredos of marble/alabaster and oak. Three Mayoral Boards: one painted with cyphers for W3R, 1696, and G2R, 1736, and incorporating mace bracket; two others from St Crux, one with W&M cypher, the other painted with Royal Arms and City of York Arms together with W&M cypher. Three Benefaction Boards. Two hatchments, one at west end in fluted frame with rosette paterae probably George III; the other over vestry door from St Crux, d.1688. MONUMENTS AND BRASSES: include: north aisle: coped grave cover with interlace carving and dragons at each corner; marble tablet to Sgt. Major J Polety, d.1829, by Plows, with added tablet to brother Charles, d.1838; tablet to Tate Wilkinson, d.1803, and Jane his wife, d.1826, by Taylor; brass to Robert Crathorn, Kt., d.1482; framed brass to Robert Askwith, d.1579, from St Crux; inscription plate to Roger de Moreton, d.1382, and Isabella his wife, d.1412, from St Saviour's. South aisle: pedimented oval tablet to Ursula Wyvill, d.1790, her husband and daughter; marble sarcophagus tablets to James Saunders, Lord Mayor, 1818, d.1824, and Robert Bishopricke, Surgeon, d.1814, by M Taylor. Tower south-east pier: stone tablet to Henry Richards, d.1783. Chancel north-west pier: steel plate, engraved and enamelled, to Stephen Jalland, killed at Gallipoli, 1915. Glass: west window contains C14 glass removed from St Saviour's church: other glass C19, by Kempe. Fittings from churches of St Crux and St Saviour, St Saviourgate (qv) transferred when St Crux was demolished 1887-88, St Saviour declared redundant 1969. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 1-5). Listing NGR: SE6042151736

External Links (1)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SE 6042 5173 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Nov 30 2021 9:27PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.