SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/742 (South East side) 19/08/71 No.48 (Formerly Listed as: MONKGATE Nos.46 AND 48)
House, now shop and offices. c1770, altered early C19 and late C19. Heightened by one storey, probably in C20. Brick in Flemish bond. Roof hidden by parapet. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 2 bays. The windows to the upper storeys are sashed. On the 1st floor they have brick flat arches and on the 2nd floor brick soldier courses. On the ground floor there is a late C19 timber shopfront with pilasters, fluted brackets, fascia and cornice. To its right is an early C19 pilaster doorcase with a 4-panel door and plain overlight. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: this house was built as half of a symmetrical pair with No.46 (qv). These properties were purchased by Thomas Beckwith, painter, in 1768 and built soon afterwards. Included for group value as an integral part of the streetscape on Monkgate. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: P.91).
Listing NGR: SE6073852376