SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/730 (North West side) 24/06/83 No.29 Tap and Spile Public House (Formerly Listed as: MONKGATE No.29 Black Horse Public Horse [sic])
Public house. 1897. By WG Penty for John Hunt's Brewery. Red brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings. Plain tile roof. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic. The gabled front facade has painted stone bands at lintel height on the ground and first floors, the upper one a moulded drip course. The attic window has lintel and sill bands. The gable coping is stepped, with 2 volutes at each side. Below a central open pediment is a plaque inscribed 'AD 1897'. The windows have leaded lights and ovolo-moulded mullions. The ground-floor window is of 6 lights with a transom. On the 1st floor there are 2 windows, each of 3 lights with a transom. Between them is a tablet with the relief figures of 2 cherubs with grapes and the inscription 'Black Horse Inn'. The attic has a 4-light mullioned window. The doorway, at the left, has a round arch with ogee hood mould and recessed doors. At the left there is a rainwater downpipe with a hopper dated '1897'. Chimney on right-hand return wall. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Dissertation for MA in Architectural Building Conservation: Davison Andrew P: "A Good House, fit for the purpose: Public House Design in York": De Montfort University: 1993-: 81).
Listing NGR: SE6065852360