SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/732 (South East side) 01/07/68 No.32 County House (Formerly Listed as: MONKGATE C19 original block to County Hospital)
Formerly known as: County Hospital MONKGATE. The County Hospital, now offices: gas lamp standards attached to front steps. 1849-1851. By JB and W Atkinson. Gas lamps by William Walker. Red brick with sandstone dressings. Hipped slate roof. Gas lamp standards of cast-iron with copper lanterns. PLAN: long rectangular. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys above a basement and 15 bays. The facade has a deep rusticated plinth, quoin strips to left and right, moulded sill bands on the 1st and 2nd floors, a plain frieze, and a dentilled stone cornice beneath bracketed timber eaves. The basement is lit by low rectangular window openings within the plinth. The other windows are glazing bar sashes with architraves. The ground floor windows have cornices on consoles. The first floor architraves are lugged and have cornices and pulvinated friezes. Second floor architraves are also lugged. The central windows are tripartite. The 1st floor window has a segmental pediment over its central light. Below its sill a panel of rusticated masonry contains the entrance doorway. It has pilaster reveals and a moulded round arch, recessed within a surround which has voussoirs and quoined jambs of vermiculated rustication and a keystone carved with a female head. The doors have 6 panels divided into 2 leaves. The external stone steps and side walls are renewed in C20 concrete and brickwork. The walls support elaborate lamp standards with copper lanterns. The standards are inscribed 'W. WALKER YORK'. 8 chimneys visible behind ridge. INTERIOR: not inspected. This building was closed as a hospital in 1977. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 49; York Historian: Haxby D and Malden J: Thomas Haxby of York (1729-1796): York: 1978-: 50).
Listing NGR: SE6074052254