SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/726 (South East side) 19/08/71 No.4 The Bay Horse Public House
Formerly known as: The Bay Horse Hotel MONKGATE. Public house. Late C18; refronted 1837. Brick with painted stone dressings and slate roof, hipped at right. EXTERIOR: symmetrical, of 3 storeys and 3 bays. The facade has quoins with alternating rustication, and 2 sill bands. The windows are glazing bar sashes with painted rusticated lintels. The ground-floor windows are tripartite, with no glazing bars to the lower sash panes, and with lintels which have stepped voussoirs and keyblocks. The doorway has a Doric pilaster doorcase, a fanlight, and a 6-panel door. Chimneys at left and behind ridge to right. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Dissertation for MA in Architectural Building Conservation: Davison Andrew P: "A Good House, fit for the purpose: Public House Design in York": De Montfort University: 1993-: 41; An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 89).
Listing NGR: SE6058752245