SE6052SW MINSTER YARD 1112-1/27/709 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.6 (Formerly Listed as: MINSTER YARD No.6 (Old Residence))
House, now school. Early C18, raised and re-roofed 1786; small late C19 extension. MATERIALS: front and right return painted render, possibly Portland cement, on painted chamfered plinth incised to resemble ashlar; painted stone dressings; timber doorcase and cornice: rear of orange-red brick in English garden-wall bond on basement of squared limestone; slate hipped roof with rendered brick stacks. EXTERIOR: basement and 3 storeys; 5-bay front: 2-storey 1-bay extension to right. Flight of stone steps leads to front door of 8 raised panels and radial fanlight recessed in moulded architrave: plain doorcase with moulded and dentilled cornice hood on consoles. Ground floor windows are 12-pane sashes with painted stone sills and sunk-panel shutters. First floor windows are unequal 15-pane sashes, over sunk-panel aprons: centre window has apron flanked by pedestals with ball finials and pediment hood on consoles. Attic windows are squat 6-pane sashes. Prominent moulded modillioned cornice, returned at right end to fluted inverted bell rainwater head, and continued without modillions across right return. First and second floor bands. Extension has splayed corners and right return has 12-pane sash windows on both floors, segment-headed on ground floor, in painted stone architraves with sills. Raised first floor band; moulded and modillioned cornice. Rear: basement and 3 storeys, 4 bays, left end bay slightly projecting. Off-centre panelled door and small window beneath guttering inscribed: 'This house repair'd and the roof new slated in the year 1786'. Above door, tall radial-glazed sash window in round-arched opening. Ground and first floor windows to right are 12-pane sashes, to left 16-pane sashes, all with 1-course segmental brick arches. Second floor windows are squat 6-pane sashes. 5-course raised brick bands to first and second floors: brick dentil eaves cornice below boxed guttering. Composite rainwater head dated 1783 in re-entrant with left bay, and fall pipe with crossed key clamps. INTERIOR: brick vaulted cellars. Ground floor. Entrance hall: stone flagged floor; semicircular stairhall arch on fluted pilasters with imposts and radial-glazed fanlight in the head. Main staircase has open string, slender turned balusters and serpentine handrail wreathed at foot around turned newel on shaped curtail step; moulded dado rail to well; half-landing
window in moulded surround. Secondary staircase to second floor has close string, square newels and flat moulded handrail. Left front room: panelled on four walls above dado rail; painted wood fireplace with eared surround and overmantel panel, and pulvinated frieze; dentilled cornice. Left rear room: panelled as front room; fireplace in eared surround with enriched cornice shelf on foliate brackets; overmantel panel flanked by fluted pilasters with triglyph frieze and broken pediment; modillioned ceiling cornice; panelled shutters. First floor. Landing: two doorcases with eared architraves; main one with door of 6 raised and fielded panels recessed in semicircular arch on plain pilasters with imposts; moulded ceiling cornice. Large front room: distyle in antis screen of cast-iron columns with foliate capitals, and moulded frieze; fireplace with eared architrave, sunk panel jambs and enriched moulded shelf has altered grate in late C19 tiled slips; doorcases have fasciated architraves and cornice heads; panelled window reveals; moulded ceiling cornice. Smaller front room: plain marble fireplace and lincrusta dado. Rear left room, sub-divided: moulded dado rail and cornice; fireplace in eared moulded surround enriched with egg-and-dart, and moulded cornice shelf. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 163).
Listing NGR: SE6041852161