Listed Building: 69 71 Micklegate (1257312)

See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade II*
NHLE 1257312
Date assigned 14 June 1954
Date last amended

Description

YORK SE5951NE MICKLEGATE 1112-1/15/659 (South side) 14/06/54 Nos.69 AND 71 GV II* Two houses, now one shop. Early C17; largely rebuilt c1745; further alterations and extension in C19 and C20. Mid C18 alterations for Rev Philemon Marsh, Rector of Church of St Martin-cum-Gregory (qv). MATERIALS: timber-framed, now encased in brick, in Flemish bond, painted at front; plain parapet with stone coping masks parallel roofs, gabled to street, each with brick stack at rear; rear wing to No.69 has hipped slate roof; rear wing to No.71 not visible. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-window front. Ground floor of both properties occupied by fluted pilaster and cornice shopfronts with glazed doors recessed between half-canted plate glass windows. All upper floor windows are 12-pane sashes beneath painted flat arches of gauged brick with painted stone sills. End and centre windows on second floor are blind. 1-course raised bands at second floor and parapet levels. Original rainwater goods at right end, with unicorn crest of the Marshes on rectangular hopper. Rear: No.71 has tripartite sash window with 16-pane centre sash. Other window on first and second floors of both houses have segmental arches. Rainwater head dated 1674. INTERIOR: remnants of timber-frame visible on ground floor at rear of both front rooms; and on first floor, in rear room of No.71 which has possible studded partition wall. Ground floor. In No.69, cantilevered staircase with column on vase balusters and moulded swept-up handrail on turned newel rises to first floor around full-height well. Well lined with corresponding dado panelling and rail, and lit by lantern in coved ceiling with moulded dentil cornice. Rear room has C17 panelling reset over C19 fireplace and on left and rear walls, and moulded cornice. In No.71, single fluted pilaster respond to former arch survives at foot of transverse staircase: remnants of moulded and dentil cornices survive in both front and back rooms. First floor. Close string secondary staircase in No.69, originally rising from ground floor, has turned balusters, moulded handrail and square newels. At head of principal staircase is keyed round arch on pilaster responds with moulded imposts. Front room has moulded cornice and cased axial beam. Rear room has door of 8 raised and fielded panels. In No.71, close string staircase with stick balusters and turned newel rises to second floor, boxed in below with re-used C17 panelling and door forming under stair closet. 8-panel door leads to front room which has cased intersecting axial and transverse beams carried on fluted Doric column. Moulded cornice survives in rear room. Second floor. In No.69, secondary staircase balustrade carried across main staircase well; 6-panel door to front room. C19 basket grate in passage of No.71. In both front rooms C18 plank floor boards are retained. C17 gabled roofs cut across end and centre windows inserted during C18 re-fronting. Properties unoccupied at time of survey. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 79-80). Listing NGR: SE5991851604

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SE 5991 5160 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Nov 30 2021 9:27PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.