SE5952SE MARYGATE LANE 1112-1/12/636 (South West side) 14/06/54 Almery Garth and Little Garth
House, now two houses. Little Garth early C18 extended c1740 to form Almery Garth; alterations and extensions of c1850 and 1901; subdivided 1933; further alterations later in C20. MATERIALS: garden front of orange-cream brick in Flemish bond with orange brick dressings and timber guttering; stone plinth; Marygate Lane side orange-brown brick in random bond and English garden-wall bond, painted on ground floor; pantile roof with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: Marygate Lane side: 3 storeys 9 bays; irregular fenestration. Entrance to Little Garth towards left end is plain doorcase of pilasters with entablature: entrance to Almery Garth is beaded panelled door with radial fanlight over fluted transom, recessed in plain pilaster and cornice doorcase with panelled reveal. Ground floor windows are 2- and 3-light diamond latticed casements beneath renewed segmental brick arches. On first floor, Little Garth has casement windows with 1-course segmental brick arches, 3x6-pane lights to left, 2x10-pane lights to right. Second floor has two 3x4-pane casement windows and one 6-pane pivoting light. Almery Garth has one 12-pane sash window on both floors. Garden side: 3-storey 3-bay front to Almery Garth; Little Garth has 3-storey front of 3 unequal bays with 1-storey pent-roofed projecting outbuilding to left. Almery Garth front terminated by full height pilaster at each end: centre bay forms shallow projection now masked by addition of 2-storey central porch extending into 2-storey bow window to right: to left is C19 pent-roofed conservatory. Central margin-glazed and panelled door with bordered overlight in plain pilaster and cornice doorcase beneath flat porch. To right, bow window has tripartite sashes on both floors, with curving 12-pane sashes in centre, in pilastered surrounds with moulded imposts and cornices: 3-course raised brick band to first floor. Ground floor to left obscured by conservatory. First floor windows to left and centre are 12-pane sashes: on second floor, windows are squat, of 6 panes, originally sashes, some altered. All have painted stone sills and flat arches of gauged brick with painted stone keyblocks, those over centre windows tripled. Painted raised band to second floor continues as coping to parapet over bow window and porch. Moulded guttering on paired modillions breaks forward over centre and pilasters. Little Garth: outbuilding has small-pane French window. To right, former outbuilding converted to kitchen has plank and batten door on strap hinges to main house. In centre is 12-pane sash window: on first floor, three similar windows and
one tall 4-pane casement, all with segmental brick arches and brick quoined openings. On second floor, one 6-pane sash at left end, 2x2-pane casement in centre, small 4-pane casement at right end. 3-course raised brick bands to first and second floors. INTERIORS: Almery Garth. Entrance hall: stone flags said to survive beneath C20 cork tiles: grooved and reeded plaster cornice. Room to right: door and window cases are fluted, with angle blocks and flat cornice to door: panelled window shutters; moulded ceiling cornice. C19 open string staircase has slender turned balusters and serpentine handrail wreathed at foot around turned newel on shaped curtail step: top flight to attic reuses early C18 balustrade of column-on-vase balusters with moulded flat handrail and square newels with attached half-balusters. Room in attic has painted stone fireplace with hob grate. Little Garth: altered staircase with close string and turned bobbin balusters. Ground floor room to right has introduced fireplace with moulded surround and inserted hob grate. Door to outbuilding is glazed and panelled. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 87).
Listing NGR: SE5978552179