SE 65 NE STOCKTON-ON-THE-FOREST A 64 (north-west side)
3/32 Sandburn Cross in grounds of Sandburn House approximately 100 metres 29.1.53 north of the Tanglewood Inn
Boundary marker. 1677 inscription, possibly on an earlier cross shaft. Limestone. Square-section base approximately one metre square and 0.25 metres in height, supporting a square-section shaft approximately 0.50 metres square and 1.50 metres in height. Inscriptions to each face. To south: Ebor Monkward Stray. Mat Walls. Jo Blackburn. John Beforth. Edgoforth. Pasture Masters 1677. To east: This cross repaired in the year 1782 by Wm Bamburgh, John Dale, Jos Gorwood, Ricd Pearson. Pasture Masters. To west: This cross was blown down by the great wind on the 7th of January 1839 and replaced by her Grace the Duchess of Sutherland 1840. To north: Restored by John Hetherton in 1912. The ashes of John Hetherton who died Feb 14th 1937 aged 74 years lie around this stone.
Listing NGR: SE6695758581