EYO4119 - St Clements Hall Nunthorpe Road
|Location||St Clements Hall Nunthorpe Road|
|Grid reference||Centred SE 59868 51135 (26m by 25m)|
York Archaeological Trust
An archaeological watching brief was maintained by York Archaeological Trust during a programme of geotechnical investigations at St Clement’s Hall, Nunthorpe Road, York. The bulk of St Clement’s Hall is of a single storey, of brick and built in 1933. The rear part of the building is of two storeys and dates to the later 19th century (Plate 2). At the present time the hall is not in use and empty, and some structural movement is apparent. The geotechnical investigations were initiated in order to determine the nature of the building’s foundations and underlaying soil conditions prior to any remedial works and refurbishment. The geotechnical investigations were comprised of five small test pits and two small-diameter window sampling boreholes (Figure 1). With the exception of Test pit 3,each of the pits was little more than 0.30m wide and could not be directly physically accessed. This made it difficult to accurately differentiate between some of the observed deposits.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Apr 7 2020 2:38PM