EYO4921 - 5 Rougier Street
|Location||5 Rougier Street|
|Grid reference||Centred SE 5999 5179 (16m by 19m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
York Archaeological Trust
EXCAVATION Rougier Street. Height of Natural taken at centre of excavation since location unspecified. Excavation revealed datable sequence of Roman deposits, including remains of warehouses, a plasterer's workshop and road surfaces which were remodelled six times between the late 3rd and early 4th centuries. Overlying the latest surface was 0.8m of black soil containing Roman pottery. Cut into this was a series of 12th and 13th century rubbish pits in which were found pre-Conquest objects. The most important of these are: a silver strap-end, a bone strap-end and a fragment of bone with incised interlace sketch. Accession codes: 1981.12,1982.1012 NMR sources: Interim : bulletin of the York Archaeological Trust 8.2/1982/12-15 York Archaeological Trust Fascicule 14.6/1990// York Archaeological Trust Fascicule 16.4/1990// York Archaeological Trust Fascicule 18.1/1986/49
- --- SYO47 Serial: York Archaeological Trust. 1982. INTERIM 8. 8/1.
- --- SYO96 Unpublished document: YAT archive 1981.12.
- --- SYO28 Unpublished document: 1986. Anglo-Scandinavian settlement SW of the Ouse AY 8/1. p30.
- --- SYO1793 Unpublished document: YAT. 2015. SW of the Ouse.
- --- SYO2214 Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
- --- SYO2704 Report: Ancient Monuments Lab. The Insect Remains from 5 Rougier St.
- --- SYO2837 Serial: York Archaeological Trust. 2022. The Archaeology of York 4/2 Roman York SW of Ouse 1963-1993.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Child/subsequent Site Events/Activities (6)
Record last edited
Mar 10 2022 10:55AM