EYO4993 - BHS and Harts store, Coney Street and Feasegate
|Location||BHS and Harts store, Coney Street and Feasegate|
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6028 5183 (36m by 34m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
CONSTRUCTION WORK Height and depth unrecorded, found during work on BHS building, Coney Street in 1956 Interval tower SW1 foundations stands up to 2.7m above foundations. Natural clay found below SW Fortress wall in 1956. Timber piles preserved in anaerobic conditions Remains of interval tower observed during clearance of site preparatory to the construction of British Home Stores. The remains were, however, concreted over before they could be satisfactorily recorded. Supplementary information from Dr I M Stead. (E-mail 20. 9. 04.). Several entries on NMR for excavation in this area in 1956. Sources listed below: Royal Commission on Historical Monuments 1962/EBORACUM/13, 16 The Yorkshire archaeological journal 39/1956-1958/419-425 The Yorkshire archaeological journal 40/1961/159:329-350 The Yorkshire archaeological journal 39/1958/156:515-37 The journal of Roman studies Society for Promotion of Roman Studies 47/1957/208
- --- SYO62 Bibliographic reference: RCHME. 1962. Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume 1 Eboracum. 1. 16.
- --- SYO2214 Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
- --- SYO2817 Article in Journal: 1962. Yorkshire Archaeological Journal. XL. Excavations adjoining SW Wall of fortress 1955-57.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Child/subsequent Site Events/Activities (7)
- EYO2620 BHS building, Coney Street 1956: Roman
- EYO2625 BHS building, Coney Street 1956: Roman
- EYO2626 BHS building, Coney Street 1956: Roman
- EYO2627 BHS building, Coney Street 1956: Roman
- EYO2628 BHS building, Coney Street 1956: natural
- EYO2629 BHS building, Coney Street 1956: natural
- EYO2630 BHS building, Coney Street 1956: natural
Record last edited
Dec 20 2021 10:49AM