EYO7784 - Former Carpet Right, Layerthorpe
|Location||Junction of Layerthorpe, Foss Islands Road and Mansfield Street|
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6092 5211 (99m by 98m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
The Jessop Consultancy
The site includes the site of St Mary's church, dating from the 14th century. After the medieval period the area depopulated, and by the 18th century was largely agricultural land until development took place through the 19th century. By the end of the 19th century much of the area was occupied by the York County Hygenic Laundry (built 1901 and operating until 1953) and Methodist Mission Rooms (incorporated into the laundry in 1931). The site was cleared in the 1980s and the existing warehouse was constructed. Despite the redevelopment of the site, it is thouht there is the potential for archaeological remains to survive at depth.
- --- SYO2499 Unpublished document: The Jessops Consultancy. 2019. Former Carpet Right, Layerthorpe.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
- MYO2287 St Mary Layerthorpe (Monument)
Record last edited
Aug 4 2020 9:29AM