EYO7824 - Cherry Tree House, Fifth Avenue, Tang Hall
|Fifth Avenue, Tang Hall, York
|SE 6204 5194 (point)
|City of York, North Yorkshire
On Site Archaeology
It seems likely that if Roman period archaeological remains are present on the site then they would be limited to similar field systems. The agricultural landuse of the area is much more easily confirmed for the medieval period. Aerial photographs dating from the first half of the 20th century, (pre-dating the majority of development in this area) indicate that medieval ridge and furrow field systems were widespread. Much of the former ridge and furrow in the surrounding area has now been built upon, or truncated by more recent agricultural practices. Archaeological investigations in the vicinity have frequently recorded medieval ploughsoils and the bases of truncated furrows. Occasional field boundary ditches have also been recorded. The site remained in agricultural landuse into the first half of the 20th century when the Tang Hall estate began to be constructed. The first development on the site took place in 1929 with the construction of St Aelred’s Roman Catholic school. The school expanded to cover the full area of the site by 1941. The school buildings have subsequently been demolished and replaced by the current Cherry Tree House. Foundations and services associated with both the earlier school buildings and the current NHS centre will have resulted in at least localised destruction of archaeological deposits, if these were present. The southern part of the site may also have suffered disturbance by the construction of the Derwent Valley Light Railway cutting.
- --- SYO2587 Unpublished document: On Site Archaeology. 2020. Cherry Tree House, Fifth Avenue.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2021 9:50AM