Building record MYO1038 - 9 Ogleforth, The Dutch House

Summary

Circa 1650 with later 17th century gables; extensively rebuilt 1955.

Location

Grid reference SE 6050 5221 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Formerly known as: Small House opposite Nos 17, 18 and 19 forming part of Smith's Brewery OGLEFORTH. House, now garage. c1650 with later C17 gables; extensively rebuilt 1955. Front and rear of orange-red brick in English garden-wall bond, with brick coped shaped gables at front; returns in stretcher bond with tumbled brick gables; pantile roof with brick coping and kneelers.

EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic, 4 unequal bays: three bays break slightly from wall plane on both floors; left end bay blank. At right of centre, sunk-panel door in keyed round arch with imposts: to left, 3-light timber mullioned and transomed window beneath segmental pediment; to right, segmental pediment rebuilt but window omitted. Central window on first floor is 2-light brick mullioned and transomed oriel on tapered brick corbel: 3-light window to left has timber mullions: 1-light window to right has brick transom: all have triangular pediments. Gables contain square attic windows. All windows have square lattice glazing. Right return has garage door on ground floor. On second floor, part of moulded brick door architrave survives: attic has blocked window in moulded brick surround.

INTERIOR: gutted. Later fireplace survives against left gable wall.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 172). Listing NGR: SE6051052210

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

The Dutch House, No. 2, of two storeys with attics, built of brick with brick pediments over the windows, is of mid 17th-century date. Two Dutch gables with dormer windows were added to the front later in the 17th century. The original purpose of the building is uncertain but access to the first floor appears to have been by an external staircase, suggesting that it may not have been domestic. Many alterations took place in the 18th century and kitchen ranges in both the upper floors show that by the beginning of the 19th century it must have been divided into three tenements. By the mid 20th century its condition was very dilapidated and it was restored in 1958. Most of the front wall was taken down and rebuilt.

The original windows were set in hollow-chamfered brick dressings, not bonded to the walling, and had chamfered brick mullions and transoms. The front comprised four unequal bays: to the S.E., a narrow bay of plain walling fronted the recesses at the side of the end chimney, with a small single-light window on the first floor; in each of the other three bays was a small projection accommodating the main openings, a round-headed doorway under an oriel window in the middle, and windows of two or three-transomed lights in the bays to each side.

The two windows on the ground floor were surmounted by curved brick pediments but the original windows had completely disappeared in the course of later modifications. The upper windows were surmounted by triangular pediments and the oriel in the middle was supported by brick corbelling, forming an inverted pyramid. The added Dutch gables above do not correspond with the bays below. The end walls are finished with tumbled gables and the N.W. end had a doorway with hollow-chamfered brick dressings to the first floor, which had been blocked, and an original window to the attic. The back wall is plain.

The ground floor formed two rooms with a fireplace at the S.E. end; the fireplace had a segmental head of rendered brickwork. The first floor was one single room with a moulded longitudinal ceiling beam carrying moulded joists. The walls rise well above the attic floor and the central tie-beam was in two parts, tenoned to the posts of a central doorway which rose to a collar carrying clasped-purlins. Other trusses have collars but no ties and one of the principals has been cut away for an inserted dormer.

Monument 297. City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 172

NMR Information

Full description

(SE 60515221) The Dutch House (NAT)

1. OGLEFORTH (south-west side) 5343

No 2 (The Dutch House) (formerly listed as Small House opposite Nos 17, 18 and 19 Ogleforth, forming part of Smith's Brewery)

SE 6052 SE 14/413 14.6.54

II*

2.
Mid C17 and later. Restored. Brick; 2 storeys plus attic; 3 upper storey windows with triangular pediments; 2 later C17 Dutch gables with dormers; 2 windows to ground storey segmental
pediments, the window on right-hand now blocked; modern leaded lights, centre portion breaks slightly forward and contains the semi-circular entrance archway and the projecting central window
above. The interior is much altered. (RCHM Vol V, Monument 297).

Sources

1 Ordnance Survey Map. OS 1:2500 1962.
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p263 City of York, June 1983
3 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

1595151 Architectural Survey THE DUTCH HOUSE, 4 OGLEFORTH

BF060948 THE DUTCH HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jun 5 2020 10:18AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.