Building record MYO1041 - 11 Ogleforth
|Grid reference||SE 6049 5223 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
- HOUSE (Built early C18, Late C17 to Early C18 - 1700 AD to 1732 AD)
- HOUSE (C19 alterations, Late C18 to Late C19 - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- OFFICE (Change of use by 1997, C20 - 1997 AD to 1997 AD)
- SCHOOL (Change of use by 1988, C20 - 1988 AD to 1988 AD)
- HOUSE (Converted c.2010, Modern - 2005 AD to 2010 AD)
Formerly known as: No.15 OGLEFORTH. House, now offices. Early C18 with mid C19 extension; renovated c1980. Front of orange brick in English garden-wall bond, formerly painted, on painted stone plinth; rear wing of orange-brown brick in English garden-wall bond; timber cornice and doorcase; pantile roof with brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics; 4-bay front. Doorcase to right of centre has sunk-panel jambs and cornice hood on elaborate foliate consoles; door is 6-panelled beneath divided overlight. All windows are 12-pane sashes with painted stone sills and flat arches of gauged brick. Plain guttering on block brackets. Attic windows are flat-topped dormers with squat 6-pane sashes.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record an original staircase from ground floor to attic, with heavy turned balusters and square newels with attached half balusters.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 172). Listing NGR: SE6049852235
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 11, of two storeys with cellars and attics, built of brick and now roofed with Welsh slate, is of early 18th-century date, extended to the rear in the 19th century and refitted in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The S. front elevation, of four bays in randombonded brickwork, has hung-sash windows with shallow segmentally-arched heads of single bricks. The entrance, in the second bay from E., is of late 18th-century date; the eaves cornice, slate roof and dormers are of the 19th century.
The house has an entrance passage with rooms to either side at the front and rear: the N. rear rooms have been extended. The original staircase, situated at the back, has heavy turned balusters and square newels with attached demi-balusters, and rises in short flights from the ground floor to the attics; it is similar to that in No. 14 High Ousegate (234), built c. 1705.
Monument 295; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF060952 ADAM HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 5 2020 11:03AM