Building record MYO1043 - 16-20 Ogleforth
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6045 5225 (18m by 18m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Built C16, Medieval to Post Medieval - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (C18 alterations, Late C17 to Late C18 - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- GARAGE (Converted 1960-4, C20 - 1960 AD to 1964 AD)
- FLATS (Converted 1960-4, C20 - 1960 AD to 1964 AD)
- STABLE (C18 alterations, Late C17 to Late C18 - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
Formerly known as: No.6 and the adjacent stables OGLEFORTH. Includes: No.5 CHAPTER HOUSE STREET. Garages with flats above. C16; rebuilt in C18. Timber-framed, encased in orange-brown brick in random bond, on brick plinth; first floor rendered and whitewashed; pantile roof with brick coping, kneelers and stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey 6-window front, with jettied first floor. At right end, 6-panel door with paired 12-pane sash windows to left: remaining ground floor bays filled by garage doors. On first floor windows are 6-pane sashes recessed in timber surrounds. Right return: 2 storeys and attic; 2-window gable wall. Ground and first floor windows to left are 12-pane sashes, to right, 4-pane sashes, all with painted sills. Window arches are segmental, those on ground floor renewed. In attic, one 1-light and one 2-light window.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 173). Listing NGR: SE6044852258
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Nos. 16–20 (even), a two-storeyed timber-framed building, now of five bays but originally extending further S.E., was built in the 16th century; the lack of any evidence for partitions suggests that its original purpose was not domestic. In the 18th century the external walls were rebuilt in brick, except for the jettied upper storey on the N.E. side. The N.W. end was made into two cottages, one surviving as No. 5 Chapter House Street. The rest has been modernised by the National Trust to form garages with a flat above.
The framing of the jettied front, visible inside, consists of widely-spaced studs between posts braced from the sill-plate. Surviving posts at the back show that there was no jetty on that side. The roof trusses have slightly cambered tie-beams and side-purlins supported by braced struts with curved braces rising from the struts to the purlins.
Monument 299. City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 173
BF060954 16-20 OGLEFORTH, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2022 2:43PM