Building record MYO1046 - 13-17 New Walk Terrace

Summary

Five houses forming part of terrace built circa 1825. By 1988 the houses had been divivded into flats, but now returned to individual houses.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 6065 5079 (30m by 16m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Five houses forming part of terrace. c1825. Mottled brick with rubbed red brick window arches. Slate roof.

EXTERIOR: 3 storeys above cellars. Each house 2 bays. The 1st and 2nd floor windows are glazing bar sashes. At ground floor level each house has a tripartite bowed glazing bar sash at the left, set into a brick panel which breaks forwards slightly under a plain entablature. The cellar windows are glazing bar sashes, except for No.14, which has French doors. The doorcases to Nos 13-16 have fluted pilasters with palmette leaf capitals, and panelled reveals. Those to Nos 14-16 have a fillet with dentils. The doorcase to No.17 has engaged fluted Doric columns, a fluted frieze, and panelled reveals. Nos 13, 16 and 17 have overlights with geometrical glazing. The doors to Nos 14, 16, and 17 have 4 raised and fielded panels above 2 flush panels. The door to No.13 has 6 raised and fielded panels, and the door to No.15 has glazing with margin panes above 2 panels. Chimneys to left and right of each house, in front of and behind ridge.

INTERIOR: not inspected. No.13 was first listed 24/06/83.

(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 91). Listing NGR: SE6066350796

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

New Walk Terrace, 12a-18, form a terrace of eight superior dwellings with fairly spacious rooms, built c.1825. The houses are of three stories with semi basements set behind long front gardens with smaller yards behind, with coach houses reached by an accomodation road at the back. No 12a now comprises two houses from which the top storey has been removed and which have been much altered. No 18, the end house nearest the river, has its entrances in a symetrically designed side elevation. The entrance doorways mostly have fluted side pilasters with palmette leaf capitals and rectangular fanlights with geometrical glazing patterns; that to No 17 has fluted Roman roric attached columns. The basements and ground floors have shallow segmental bow windows, those to the ground floor with recessed brick panels beneath. The windows of the upper floors have flat arches of gauged bricks.

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 91. Monument 290

NMR Information


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1975, RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO2424.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1975. RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2020 5:33PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.