Building record MYO1048 - 6 Newgate
|Grid reference||SE 6042 5190 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (7)
- HOUSE (C14, Medieval - 1300 AD to 1399 AD)
- HOUSE (c1880, Mid C19 to Late C19 - 1860 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (1963, C20 - 1963 AD to 1963 AD)
- SHOP (rebuilt, C20 - 1963 AD to 1963 AD)
- CAFE (rebuilt, C20 - 1963 AD to 1963 AD)
- WAREHOUSE (rebuilt, Mid C19 to Late C19 - 1849 AD to 1899 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Built, Mid C19 - 1848 AD to 1848 AD)
Formerly known as: Building on NE corner of Patrick Pool and Newgate NEWGATE. House. C14, extensively rebuilt c1880 following fire, retaining C14 ground floor; further rebuilding and restoration in 1963. Ground floor of squared magnesian limestone, upper floors of orange brick in stretcher bond; pantile roof.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey, 1-window front. Entrance in left return to Patrick Pool. Ground floor retains square-headed window of 2 shouldered lights in ovolo-moulded reveal and beneath defaced hoodmould. First and second floor windows are 4-pane sashes with narrow sills and flat arches of brick. Left return: 3-storey, 1-window gable wall. Glazed double doors in glazed and panelled screen on ground floor, and tripartite windows with 4-pane centre sashes on first and second floors.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 170).
Listing NGR: SE6042151906
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(289) House, No. 6, now a shop and cafe, has two upper storeys of modern brick above a stone-built ground floor, incorporating some mediaeval masonry. The original building was of 14th-century date, and a drawing of 1846 (Proceedings of the Archaeological Institute (1846)) shows it with a timber-framed and jettied upper storey. The building appears to have extended as far as Pump Court, and is shown as two separate properties on the 1852 OS map. Part was used in the 18th century as a meeting room for the Methodists, John Wesley preaching here in 1753, 1755 and 1759. It was used as a school between 1813 and 1816, after which its status declined. The upper storey was destroyed by fire c. 1880 and replaced by two brick storeys. Extensive rebuilding took place in 1963.
Fragments of mediaeval masonry and a worn stone bracket survive in the passageway to Pump Court, and a two-light window survives in the Newgate elevation. This has shoulderheaded openings in a square frame and ovolo-moulded reveals with hooks for shutters, beneath a worn hood mould
Pre-Conquest Stone: in Yorkshire Museum, found on the site during building works in 1963. Fragment of cross-shaft, of magnesian limestone, 24 in. by 12 in. by 10 in.; flat at top, damaged base and two main sides; each face has a framing arch to a major carved panel, three carved with animals and the fourth with a human head, each arch grasped by two small figures, carved at the angles of the stone on adjacent faces, with volute-ended wings touching above the arch heads; probably 11th-century. (Arch., civ (1973), 211, Plate XLIII).
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 170
No further description provided.
1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest District of York, 14/03/1997
Related event: (UID 613515) INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2020 6:03PM