Building record MYO1061 - FORMER WATERWORKS ENGINE HOUSE AT REAR OF LENDAL HILL HOUSE

Summary

Former Waterworks Engine house at rear of Landal Hill House. Built to house the pumping engine of the waterworks which was moved from Lendal Tower in 1836. The engine was removed from the premises some time after 1849, when new works were constructed at Acomb Landing, and 1854 tenders were invited for work in connection with the the taking down of the chimney, the removal of the engine beds and the conversion of the engine houses into offices. The building is of brick with stone dressings, the main range running north-south with a wing to the east side at the north end. The main elevation is symmetrical and of two bays, in Flemish bonded brickwork above a stone plinth. It has round-arched windows set in large rounded recesses and, above an ashlar band, a parapet with ashlar capping swept up over a central decayed stone panel. The other elevations have a recess to each bay, some with fanlights to the upper parts and windows below, and others with no openings at all.

Location

Grid reference SE 5998 5198 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Pump engine house, now offices. 1836, converted in 1854; further alteration later. For the York Waterworks Company. MATERIALS: orange-red brick, in Flemish bond on river front, English garden-wall bond elsewhere; stone plinth and dressings: hipped slate roofs, partly glazed, with brick stack. On all sides, openings are recessed in blind arcades of round arches on plain pilasters. EXTERIOR: river front: 1 storey 2 bays. Each bay has round-headed 8-pane sash window. Raised stone eaves band beneath parapet ramped up to central plinth carrying pedestal in the form of chimney stack with stone coped cap. Eaves band and parapet return on both sides. Returns: 1 storey and attic; 6-bay fronts. Left return ground floor has 12-pane sash windows, one blind in right of centre bay, all with stone sills; openings to right have cambered brick arches, to left segmental brick arches. Attic has radial glazed light in round brick arch in left of centre bay; elsewhere squat blind openings with cambered brick arches: all have stone sills. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was constructed to house the waterworks pump engine, built by Joseph Smeaton in 1784. The engine was removed to new works at Acomb Landing c1850 after which the engine house was converted to office use. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 166).
Listing NGR: SE5998451988

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR Information:

No further description provided.

Related event: (UID 613515) INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Architectural Survey
14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Aug 19 2019 9:50AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.