Building record MYO1120 - 37 Monkgate
|Grid reference||SE 6070 5239 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
House, now offices. c1847 with remains dating from 1794. Probably by GT Andrews for Joseph Buckle. Brick in Flemish bond with stone plinth and some painted stone dressings. Hipped slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 and 4 storeys. The Monkgate facade is divided into 2 by giant pilasters with stone bases and caps, which rise from a 1st floor sill band. It has a stone plinth and a moulded gutter cornice. The right-hand half of the facade is a remodelling of the 1794 building and is of 4 storeys with 2 glazing bar sash windows on each floor. The 2nd floor windows have a sill band. The left-hand half of the facade is of 3 storeys and has one glazing bar sash window to each upper floor and a 2nd floor sill band. On the ground floor there is a painted stone doorway with flanking lights under an entablature with a central pediment, carried on pilasters. The plain piers to each side of the door formerly had Ionic columns. The door has 4 panels and the rectangular overlight is divided into 3 panes. Chimneys near centre of ridge and in front of ridge at right. The left-hand return facade is of 3 storeys plus attic and 5 bays, divided into 3 panels by pilaster strips. It includes a central round-headed stair window rising through the ground and first floors.
INTERIOR: RCHM records entrance hall, now partitioned, has Ionic columned screen and stone staircase with ornate cast-iron balustrade with moulded wooden handrail c1847. Secondary stair c1794. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 263; An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 88).
Listing NGR: SE6069352403
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
No. 37, of three and four storeys, was built by Joseph Buckle just before 1848, the four-storey part to the N.E. being a remodelling of a three-storey house built by William Walker in 1794 (Deeds).
The street front has the upper storeys divided into two bays by giant pilasters with stone bases and capitals, and the sills of the upper windows are linked by stone bands. The entrance doorway is flanked by narrow windows to form a tripartite composition with Ionic columns (now missing) between pilasters carrying an entablature with central pediment; it is similar to the entrance to No. 61 Bootham (48) but the pilasters here are not fluted. The S.W. side is divided into three bays by brick pilaster strips without bases or capitals.
On plan the two parts of the house are very similar in idea though different in scale. Each has a staircase placed transversely between front and back compartments; in the earlier part to the N.E. the original staircase remains forming the secondary staircase to the whole; in the S.W. part the front door leads into a spacious entrance hall screened from the main staircase by Ionic columns but this grand design has been spoilt by the introduction of a modern partition. The handrails to the staircase are carried on elaborate cast-iron standards. On the first floor, over the entrance hall, a lofty reception room has a richly decorated plaster ceiling.
'Houses: Monkgate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (London, 1975), pp. 87-91. Monument 261
BF060873 37 MONKGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1975, RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO2424.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 10 2020 4:11PM