Building record MYO1163 - 128-132 Micklegate


A mid-18th century house; subdivided in the early 19th century; it was a government office in 1850, 20th century shopfront. Exterior: 3-storey 4-window front.


Grid reference Centred SE 5978 5153 (24m by 22m)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (4)

Full Description

House. Mid C18; subdivided in early C19; C20 shopfront. Front of stuccoed brick; right side of red brick in stretcher bond; double-span roof of pantiles, partly obscured by parapet broken by pilaster piers and with shallow moulded cornice.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-window front. Shopfront continues on ground floor of No.136 adjacent (qv); at right end, upstairs access door of 6 panels, approached by two steps. Windows on first and second floors are sashes, of 4 panes and 12 panes respectively: all windows have keyed flat arches beneath the stucco, and second floor windows have painted sills. 4-course raised bands of brick to second floor and beneath parapet, the latter returned at right end. Rear: 3-storey 3-window centre block flanked by 3-storey 1-window projecting wings. Windows are sashes, either 4 panes or 8 panes with flat arches of brick, most altered. Raised brick bands across centre block and wings at first and second floor levels.

INTERIOR: RCHM record fragments of original staircase with turned and twisted balusters re-used in present staircase. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 94).
Listing NGR: SE5975251527

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

House, Nos. 128, 130, 132, is on a site owned in 1739 by the Widow Mountain and occupied by James Thompson (YCA, E.93, f. 118); it passed to Henry Jubb, an eminent medical practitioner (1720–92), who probably built the present house about the time he became Sheriff in 1754–5; he was Lord Mayor in 1773 (Davies, 140). By 1798 the property belonged to his only child Dorothy and her husband, Major William Thompson, who sold it in 1801 to Robert Swann, the banker (d. 1858). Swann occupied the house until 1833 and left it to his son John, who immediately sold it to William Cook, joiner; it was sold to Frederick John Day, veterinary surgeon, in 1863, and to John Henry Shouksmith in 1883. For a period about 1850 the house was leased to the Ordnance Survey as their York headquarters (Title Deeds; Directories). The property, originally two messuages, became united when the present house was built, but by 1863 had been divided again.

The street front, three-storeyed in stuccoed brick, has stringcourses above and below the top storey, and a parapet. Above a modern shop front each storey has four sash windows, with flat arches and stuccoed key-blocks. The roof is covered with modern pantiles. The back has small projecting wings to E. And W. There are brick bands continued around the wings, at first and second-floor levels.

Internally, some of the rooms retain original cornices and doors; part of the staircase is made up of old materials including turned and twisted balusters of c. 1730–40.

Derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 68-96. Monument 97

Information from NMR

613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060845 128-132 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

Firstplan Ltd., 2015, 130-134 Micklegate Heritage Design and Access Statement (Unpublished document). SYO1778.

NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • --- Unpublished document: Firstplan Ltd.. 2015. 130-134 Micklegate Heritage Design and Access Statement.
  • --- Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 11 2020 3:14PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.